Friday, February 19, 2016

February 8, 2016 - Joshua, Texas

Dear Family,

I don't have any weird or crazy stories for you but it was a good week. On P-Day we went to the Fort Worth Zoo as a zone. There was a Texas Town exhibit near the end with cows, geese and stuff which I found funny. I'd seen every single animal there at some point while tracting in Joshua. I'll be sending a few pictures.

We actually had a pretty successful week as far as lessons go. I think I set a personal record for most in one week. It's encouraging to actually see more happening in the area right now. We still don't have any progressing investigators and we didn't have anyone we're teaching come to sacrament but that'll come soon enough.

Unfortunately I may not get to see it since I've been here four transfers and I'm almost done training Elder Balser. This means I'll most likely be leaving Joshua next week. It'll be weird to leave here; Joshua is all I've known a mission to be. At least I'll be finished with my 24 weeks of the 12 week program! I definitely got more out of it the second time but it does start to drag on a little. They should really think of filming some of those Preach My Gospel videos in Joshua sometime. They would be a little more entertaining then. Anyway, Joshua's treated me well the last few months but I'm excited to see what it's like elsewhere in the mission.

The only story I have for ya'll this week comes from  a lesson we had with a less-active on Saturday. These people live way out in the middle of nowhere Godley and you have to drive up a long, narrow, and terribly bumpy dirt road to get there. Once we meandered our way up the full length of this road we sat down for a lesson with the husband who is a member and his wife who is not. We started talking about building faith then moved to the Book of Mormon. The husband rather gripingly asked us what makes the Book of Mormon any better than every other religious book so we explained that it's a second witness and that the bible is still completely necessary. They weren't really having it and the wife explained that her in-laws gave her a Book of Mormon which she got about half way through. She didn't really feel the need to pray about it or anything but somehow, after some more conversation, it came out that their toddler has a brain tumor. I jumped on that opportunity by using my experience with Ayla's passing to testify of the Book of Mormon and Plan of Salvation. By the time I was done speaking the wife said, "I guess we'll try praying about the Book of Mormon." It was a neat experience. That was probably the first time I'd ever used that experience to actually teach a principle of the Gospel and it felt good.  I know they felt something they can't ignore so we'll be following up with them soon.

Other than that my week was pretty uninteresting. I'll let you know what happens with transfers next week! Take care!

Love,
Elder O'Brien (the younger)

No comments:

Post a Comment