Tuesday, March 8, 2016

February 22, 2016 - My First Week in Saginaw, Texas

Dear Family,

It's hard to believe I've officially been out on my mission for six months. It's flown by but at the same time I feel like it was forever ago that I was in the MTC. My time in Joshua was well worth it. I learned and grew a ton there so it's definitely a sacred place for me. I really want to take ya'll back there sometime after my mission. 

When I first got to Saginaw, I have to admit it was a little weird. We live in a nice apartment complex along with two other sets of missionaries. My apartment feels like a mansion compared to the barn I was living in for almost six months. It honestly made me uncomfortable at first to have so much room. On top of that, we see other missionaries almost every day with most of the rest of the district in the same complex. The only ones not here are of course the sisters in Highland Station. Funny enough we actually all live in their ward. Anyway it's been interesting.

The work in Saginaw seems to have been booming the last few months. Currently we have two investigators with a baptismal date and another that will have one next week. People actually want to hear what we have to say here! Imagine that! I'd say I want to stay here for a while but then I'd probably be transferred in April. Which reminds me! This will be a seven week transfer to compensate for the MTC changes recently.

I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if I didn't talk about the service we do here. Imagine for a moment that you're sitting in a room with the guy who invented twist-off caps among other things. Crazy right?! Now, imagine that he's asleep with a long string of snot hanging from his nose. Yep, we spend 10 hours a week at an old folks home. A memory care center to be exact. One lady told me on Friday that another resident was a jewel robber and that the Chicago police sent her here so that we can catch her. It takes some getting used to but I'll let you know how it goes for the next while.

I guess you're probably wondering about my new companion. I think I mentioned this last week, but it's Elder Wade. He's been out for eighteen months so together we add up to a full mission! After a day or so we both realized that President Ames may have very well put two of the quietest missionaries in the mission together. Both of us are experiencing having a quiet companion for the first time. It's been going pretty well considering! I think the Lord is trying to teach us something this transfer though... Anyway, I have to go shopping and stuff. Talk to you next week!

Love,
Elder O'Brien (the younger)

No comments:

Post a Comment