Wednesday, November 23, 2016

November 7, 2016


Dear Family,

It's been of week of mixed emotions. Leaving Denton was definitely tough for me. Everyone in the wards were super grateful for Elder Cockrell and I and what we were able to accomplish. It gave me peace to know that I was leaving Denton on good terms and that if people remember me it will be for good things. That's probably what made leaving so difficult, having a good relationship with everyone and coming to love them so much.

Heritage has been an adjustment for sure. The work is basically what I imagine it to be in Utah with lots of members and very few people who don't know who we are. The area is super small and had quite a few hardworking missionaries come through within the last year so literally every door has been knocked on, sometimes multiple times. My new companion, Elder Rarotoga, said that some people have come to expect us every 6 months. Basically, we won't really be teaching anybody unless members bring them to us. I think the Christmas initiative coming up will help us stay busy though. It'll give us something new to talk about with people, something they can relate to. We had a baptism this weekend though! His name is Cody and he was an overage child. I met him for the first time at the baptism so that was fun.

I think the best part of this transfer is that I'm with most of the missionaries that I'd consider my "mission family." Elder Simmons is still my Zone Leader, Elder Newey from the MTC is my other Zone Leader, Elder Brinkerhoff is the other district leader in my zone, and Elder Reich is in my district. Elder Rarotoga was in the Denton zone with me for a transfer so I sort of knew him before too. Anyway, it's been fun.

Luckily the biking hasn't been too bad. Actually, we've mostly been walking or getting rides. My bike had a few issues at first but we got them fixed and it didn't cost us anything. Overall my luck has been better since I left Denton so that's a plus.

Love ya'll! Have good week!

Love,
Elder O'Brien (the younger)

No comments:

Post a Comment