Friday, December 9, 2016

November 28, 2016

Dear Family,

Again, this week seemed to be mostly preparing our area for better weeks to come. Neither Elder Rarotoga or I were terribly familiar with many of the investigators in our area book so we read up on them a lot and made plans to see them. We were able to visit a few of them but unfortunately none of them were interested in the least. We worked quite a bit with the members this week though. We've been trying to get the wards excited about the Christmas initiative so they can share it with their friends and introduce them to the Gospel! In the south it's pretty safe to share these kinds of things with anyone and everyone. I mean, how can you be offended by a Christmas service initiative? A member of our mission presidency once said, "the best thing about Texas is that everyone already goes to church. The worst thing about Texas is that everyone already goes to church." 'Tis truth, especially during Christmas.

In other news, Thanksgiving was this week. It still feels a month late to me... I had a few people ask about Canadian thanksgiving and what kind of traditions we have. Basically, I told them it's the exact same. I guess some people struggle to wrap their heads that. That and the fact that we have normal bacon.

It was a fun day though. We did our weekly planning in the morning and then went dinner at a member's... and then for more dessert at a couple other members'. Everyone wants to feed the missionaries on thanksgiving so you just kinda have to pace yourself. I think the best part of the day was the fact that I finally had some stuffing that tasted almost like mom's good ol' recipe. Only almost. Oh, and somebody made that apple/snickers "salad" I really like and put it in a pie. There's no stopping me now that I know people here make it too!

The day after thanksgiving you better believe there were some crazy Christmas light arrangements going up. The lack of ice or snow here makes it a little safer to go crazy with the lights I think.

Well, have an awesome week!

Love,
Elder O'Brien (the younger)

No comments:

Post a Comment