Sunday, May 28, 2017

May 8, 2017

Dear Family,

It's been a good week in the lone star state. Real summer is starting to creep up on us slowly so we had a couple days in the low 90s and high 80s. It's going to get pretty toasty this summer I think.

Hard to believe it's already Mother's Day next week and time to Skype again. I'll either be calling at 4 or 5 your time depending on our schedule that day. I'll shoot ya'll an email that morning and let ya'll know! And remember, it's 45 minutes this time! I'm not even going to talk about what number call this is for my mission. Anyway, looking forward to it.

So quick taco story. There's this fancy/hipster taco place, Velvet Taco, that I've been wanting to go to ever since I got here and we either haven't had the time or money to go until this week. On Wednesday for dinner I finally got to experience these miracle tacos for myself. I got a brisket and a pulled pork taco and they were seriously the best I've had ever. The brisket one had cheese melted on the outside of the tortilla. Crunchy. Delicious. Amazing. I spent about $9 on my two tacos and Elder Brinkerhoff spent about $11. For the next few days we couldn't stop talking about it and kept wondering when we could go next. Two days later we were on exchange (Elder Brinkerhoff was out of the area) and our dinner appointment wanted to take us to Chuy's, another Tex-Mex place. Turns out there was going to be a 45-60 minute wait because everyone was celebrating Cinco de Mayo. So where did we go instead? Velvet Taco. Elder O'Brien: happy. Elder Brinkerhoff: not so much. This time I got some sort of buffalo chicken taco and, get this, a water buffalo taco. Remarkable. That wasn't as short as I thought... oh well.

None of our main investigators were able to meet with us this week unfortunately. I'm thinking Jeje may have kind of gotten cold feet after we committed her to pray about a baptism date. She also has been battling allergies lately which doesn't help. Texas allergies are quite literally the worst for some. Luckily It hasn't really affected me. Hopefully this week she'll get feeling a little better and we can help her move forward. I have no idea what's going on with Marcello. Apathy and fear maybe.

We have Elder Lawrence of the seventy coming to our mission tomorrow so that will be exciting. I've been lucky on my mission to meet quite a few general authorities and I always come away a little happier and more confident about the work. It's nice to get that boost once in a while.

Have a nice week! Sorry I can't share my heavenly tacos with you!

Love,
Elder O'Brien (the younger)

No comments:

Post a Comment