Monday, October 24, 2016

October 17, 2016

                  
                  Posing with his second cake

                                       
                     Blowing out the candles on his third cake

Dear Family,

First of all, thanks for all the birthday wishes and gifts. It was an interesting day for sure. To start the day off I had to drive to a meeting about 30 miles away in Carrollton--or at least we thought so. We were misinformed and turns out we were supposed to go to Hurst which is about 25 miles from Carrollton. In normal traffic that should take about an hour but it took us two. The new GPS helped by the way! After that, we came back for lunch then headed to the prison to contact a Book of Mormon referral from a while ago. Don't ask me how a prisoner managed to order it, I really do not know. Either way, we were told to mail it directly to the prisoner. The rest of the day was pretty packed with appointments so at some points we literally had to run from place to place.

We were in this one apartment complex where we had two appointments. The first one didn't answer his door so we went somewhere else for an hour, came back for the next appointment, and that guy also wasn't there. We decided to try back at the first guy who still wasn't home but then promptly saw the second guy walking back to his apartment so we ran over to meet him. Later that night the first guy's apartment was broken into apparently. One of his neighbors remembered us running away from the apartment and suspected we were the culprits. Fortunately for us, our investigator defended our case and it wasn't pursued any further.

We had one more appointment that fell through that day then went to dinner with Amy. She insisted I have two pieces of cake for dessert since it was my birthday and she didn't know until we got there. I was fine with that until we went to a less-actives house who Elder Cockrell had surprise me with birthday cake. "We gave you the biggest piece because it's your birthday!" they said. I was struggling a bit to finish. The very next day we had a zone meeting and my district leader had told the sisters to surprise me with another cake. Needless to say, I'm caked out this week. Why do people love me?!

Anyway, it was a good birthday even though it was a little crazy. The rest of the week was pretty much just as busy but mostly with meetings and planning and such.  On Thursday we had a mission conference with Elder Kim B. Clark of the Seventy. He made some pretty good points and the conference was just awesome overall. Three out of six of my old companions were there so it was great to catch up with them. Elder Balser seems to have grown a lot and even apologized for "being a rambunctious greenie." He had a rough time with his next couple companions so I guess he came to appreciate his trainer a little more. He really wasn't that bad of a companion but I guess he felt bad, haha.

To top off the week, we set a baptismal date for November 19 with the overage child I think I mentioned last week. She and her mother weren't at church yesterday though, so that's a bit concerning. Hopefully we can motivate her mother a bit more and get them active. The desire is definitely there.

That's my week in so many words. Hope ya'll have a wonderful week once again!

Love,
Elder O'Brien (the younger)

No comments:

Post a Comment